The International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) is an inter-governmental organisation of the countries in the African Great Lakes Region. The organisation was established in order to promote peace, security and development at the regional level as it has been recognized that instability and conflicts in the African Great Lakes Region have a cross-border dimension and impact several countries of this area.
The founding members of the organisation are Angola, Burundi, Central African Republic, Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania and Zambia. In 2012, the Republic of South Sudan joined the organisation composed nowadays of twelve Member States.
For further information please consult the ICGLR website.
The Pact on Security, Stability and Development in the Great Lakes Region
The Member states of the ICGLR adopted the Pact on Security, Stability and Development in the Great Lakes Region in Nairobi in December 2006. The signatories of the pact are Angola, Burundi, Central African Republic, Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Republic of South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Zambia.
The Pact has the goal of creating the conditions for a secure, stable and development region. It serves as a legal framework for the ICGLR and provides the key elements for its agenda.
The Pact is composed of ten protocols which are legally binding for all the signatory parties of the treaty. The protocols are the following:
- Protocol on Non-aggression and Mutual Defense in the Great Lakes Region
- Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance
- Protocol on Judicial Cooperation
- Protocol for the Prevention and the Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity and all forms of Discrimination
- Protocol Against the Illegal Exploitation of Natural Resources (RINR)
- Protocol on the Specific Reconstruction and Development Zone
- Protocol on the Prevention and Suppression of Sexual Violence Against Women and Children
- Protocol on the Protection and Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons
- Protocol on the Property Rights of Returning Persons
- Protocol on the Management of Information and Communication
Download the Pact on Security, Stability and Development in the Great Lakes Region (amended version, 2012).